The quality of food we consume is unarguably more important than the quality of material accessories. Being Conscious of everything our bodies consumes is our responsibility. Inter-meal junk food eventually turns into culprits responsible for several long-term diseases. Despite the hereditary effects, most lifestyle diseases can be controlled by Positive Lifestyle changes in our habits.
So what are these Positive Lifestyle Changes? Here are a few simple habits that can significantly improve the quality of your Life-
1. Hot Beverages- If you are drinking tea or coffee absolutely without any refined sugar absolutely, bravo! For those who drink them sweeter than honey, a suggestion to help you get over the addiction is to reduce the quantity of sugar in 'trace' amounts every day. This way your taste buds won't reject this new habit. Also, introduce yourself to green tea which has many benefits.
2. Chores- Try to do them yourself (unless you’ve been advised to avoid them for health reasons) as much as possible. In the midst of completing your chores (laundry, cooking, etc)you also burn a few calories.
3. Your Environment- Keep it clean. It’s a psychological effect to feel unkempt mentally when one's surroundings are untidy. If finding time for a solid makeover of your home is challenging, organize the task stepwise. For example- clean your wardrobe shelf-wise.
4. Home Grown Veggies- You don't have to turn into a farmer to grow your own food. Begin with learning to grow bean sprouts today! Throw in a handful of either cow pea or bean seeds into a glass jar covered with fine muslin. Water the seeds daily, filling the jar with tap water, drain the excess and leave the seeds hydrated. Place the jar in a dark, aerated and warm place. Continue these steps daily. After four to five days the seeds will begin to sprout. You can cook a delicious curry and serve with brown bread or rice.
5. Fried Food- Choose baked, steamed, par-boiled food over fried dishes, fast food and junk food as often as possible.
6. Meal Size- Reduce your meal size quantitatively from breakfast to dinner. This way you go to bed with a light stomach. Incorporate healthy snacks in between the three main meals to activate your metabolism.
7. Smoking- If you are already a social or chain smoker, cut down the quantity gradually as mentioned in habit 1. In this case, if you smoke five cigarettes a day, aim to reduce it to 4.75 through a period of one week and continue the process every new week.
8. Posture- Whether you sit or stand you owe the responsibility of a healthy posture to your spine. Be conscious of your posture always- whether you are studying, working, meditating, praying, etc.
9. Complaining- As much as it may seem reasonable to complaint at times, complaining is often an energy draining addiction and contributes to stress and depression for both, the one complaining and the recipients listening out of addiction or obligation. So let it go.
10. Physical activity- Increase activity gradually. It doesn't have to be strenuous sports or exercises if you are a beginner. For starters, take a brisk 30 minute walk 4-5 times per week. This is recommended for Arterial occluded patients, so it’s undoubtedly harmless to healthy beginners. You can alternate this habit with habits 2 and 3. If you have been advised not to exert yourself physical please seek advice form your physician.